Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ki-ki-ri-ca?

"In English roosters say "Cock-a-doodle-doo," but in the Czech Republic they say "Ki-ki-ri-ca." Cows say "moo" in America, but in Holland they say "Booo." In the United States turkeys say "Gobble-gobble-gobble," but they say "Holderolderol" in Israel (Conrad, 1995). Roosters, cows, and turkeys really don't say those words, but people in different countries use different words to describe the sounds they hear animals make. Words are summary symbols with meanings agreed on by a society or a group..." (Developing Literacy by Timothy G. Morrison, and Brad Wilcox).

This is what I opened up to and started reading for homework in my Teaching Literacy class in a chapter about vocabulary. I know you are jealous of my homework. Don't even deny it. :)

...But then I went on to read 60 pages of textbook reading and a super long Ensign article. (Since when does it take 45 minutes to read one article??) So on second thought... Don't be too jealous. I've been reading for like 3 hours....

❤, Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment